Monday, March 24, 2008

Fessin' up time

In response to Jean’s challenge (mizjean.blogspot.com) here are a few of my unusual characteristics:

1. I am a pretty casual guy in a lot of respects, but completely anal about being on time. This may come from 14 years of OTR trucking, or it may be an inherited trait from my mother’s side. Either way, if I am to be somewhere by, say, 5 o’clock, I will often be there a few minutes early. I become irritated when those riding with me aren’t ready to go when I am. I am also completely annoyed by people who “time manage” by wasting my time. Get over yourselves, already.

2. I have “presentation preferences” in food. I like ketchup, tomato sauce, and even sliced tomatoes (on sandwiches), but will not eat tomatoes by themselves. Also with strawberries – OK sliced in desserts (yes to shortcake!) but not ok alone. Alternatively, I will only eat bananas solo – not as an ingredient (with the exception of banana bread). No fruit salads or jello with banana slices or even banana splits, please. Also - Every proper serving of trail mix must contain all elements – peanuts, almonds/cashews, raisins, and M&M’s. Any missing ingredient means a do-over.

3. I spend a lot of time in my office in my stocking feet (or slippers). Not in meetings, but when by myself. Shoes are an invention designed to cause discomfort. Had God wanted us to wear shoes all the time, he wouldn’t have made stocking feet feel so good.

4. I can talk more on the phone to people I don’t know so well than people I consider friends (or family). Friends or family I prefer to talk to face to face. I also stink at small talk in all situations. I’m a get to the point type of guy. Remember the scene in “Planes, Trains, And Automobiles” where Steve Martin goes off on John Candy, telling him “…when you tell a story, have a point! It makes it so much more interesting for the listener!”? That’s me, although not quite that direct.

5. I’m a terrible passenger. If I’m not driving, it’s best if I’m in the back seat, not paying any attention to what is going on. Too many miles driving, I suppose. I’m one of those people who press a dent in the floor on the right side when I think that we should be slowing down and the driver isn’t responding appropriately. I’m a good driver (IMHO) but I don’t think that that translated into being a good teacher. Not that my kids are bad drivers (they aren’t), but I think my teaching method may have been frustrating for them…

6. One more thing – when on praise team in church I do not like to put myself in a situation where I will refer to my fellow praise team members by name. If I do, I will invariably FORGET THEIR NAME even though I’ve known them for, oh, say, 15-20 years. I blame it on age. Or, perhaps, some unknown brain abnormality. Whatever, it has happened enough that I don’t want to go there anymore. Ever. Until we start wearing name tags at all times. Which I may need in a few years anyway.

OK, that’s six. Phew. Michelle, your turn. Also – how about you, Jana and Scott???

3 comments:

Miz Jean said...

Hmmm...computer failure...not sure if this will post twice. Oh well.

Once when I was on praise team with you, you referred to me as your "lady friend". That was hilarious.

Dale Deur said...

Yes, Jean, I believe that was the incident that drove a stake in the heart of ever again discussing my fellow praise team members...thanks for bringing up yet another painful reminder of my shortcomings.

Jana said...

HA! Lady friend...oh, the scandal.

Dad, regarding the driving portion of this post--just this week on our way back from the airport, Jeff was driving. It was pretty late, and I was tired. He said I could sleep if I wanted to. I tried, but no luck. I told him that I can only sleep in a car if my dad is driving, because he's the best driver I know and I don't have to worry about it.