Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Wake-up Call

Received a call about 6:30 Tuesday morning from Mom (not too unusual, as she is usually up quite early and she knows we are,too). The subject matter was disturbing - Dad was awake, but not responding to her. Upon my urging, she called 911, and I hurried into town to help.
The parameds were there when I arrived, and they had determined that Dad's blood sugar was 38 (normal range is 80-120). They pumped in some IV glucose and he became responsive quickly (after some amusing answers to common questions, I might add). After a bit of time in the ER, he was released with instructions to visit his Dr. for analysis of his current med levels.
The interesting observation was the response of the other residents at the senior living facility where Mom & Dad live; with increased awareness of the Event that comes to us all, the strong concern, knowing that the time may have come for one of theirs, and it may soon come for them, as well. It was an intriguing look into the psyche of the later years, and one I'll not soon forget.
The best resolution of all is that Dad is OK, back home, and doing well. Medication has been adjusted, and he even got some new hearing aids (careful what you say around him, now). Back to normal again.

1 comment:

Jana said...

Whoa, new hearing aids? That's a good development! I'll watch what I say.